Thursday, June 10, 2010

~Home Sweet Home~

I’ve been to a lot places around the world. Some of my best trips were to Greece, France, Spain and my most recent Italy. But when it comes to my favorite place on the planet, it would have to be my home. Like they say, there is no place like home.

It’s funny. In high school most people can’t wait to leave home and go off to college living in a four-walled crammed dorm. I was one of them, but it’s wasn’t until college and spending nights in disgusting heat in a small bed and eating gross food that made me grateful of my home. Now that I'm at college, I want to be at home. Funny right?

I’ve lived in the same house since I was a two-year-old. So for me, this is really where it all began. It’s where all the bonds were formed with family and friends, all the crazy childhood sleepovers happened. But now that I’m all grown up, home is a state of mind. It’s the thing that keeps me grounded. It’s where I can always go and blend right in.

I have my own apartment now, but it will never be home. There can be many houses, but only one home. For me, home is the various flower arrangements mom has placed in almost every room of the house. The comfort of soft and fresh sheets. Delicious aromas leaving from the kitchen. Newly brewed tea always waiting to be sipped. The warm, pale yellow color on the walls. The millions of picture frames filled with years of memories. The simple familiarity of everything around me. My dad reading a book, newspaper, or anything with words on his favorite chair. My mom brightening up my day with her huge smile and comforting hug. Home is where I feel the safest. Home is where I feel most like myself. Home is where family is. Home isn't a place, it's more of a feeling. That is home to me.

Even though it took me a while to realize, no matter where I’ve been or seen, nothing can beat home sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment